Photobucket
Photobucket

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Where everything begins.

Like most of my stories, I always get the idea from my dreams. "Something Wicked" (temporary title) is no exception.

In my dream I see a teenage girl sitting around a campfire alone, totally focused on something she's holding in her hands. Thick lines of trees surrounding her and the camp where shadows stretch and lengthen and night sounds falls heavy on the ears.

Firelight chases the dark away and sparks dance in the air. The wind, a subtle whisper, all around.

The blood red of her jacket looked almost black in the light of bonfire and as she shifts in her seat, three silhouettes that look a lot like wolves slides across tree barks.

...yeah, I know. I know. Red Riding Hood, right? That is clear enough. If that isn't a scene for another werewolf horror movie, I don't know what is.

But as it turns out, the teenage girl is doing her homework and the three wolves canter into the campsite like frolicking puppies before changing into teenage boys right in front of her cynical, and totally unsurprised eyes. Instead of screaming her head off, she berates them for dragging her into the cold and damp forest and threatening revenge if she fails her biology test tomorrow.

One of the boys shakes his hair and shoulders, ridding his skin off raindrops before toweling off, grinning. "Aw, come on, Lei. It's tradition. Have some respect."

Lei, as they called her, harrumphed. "Not all of us can grow fur. It's cold out here. And wet. And dark."

The dream progresses into scenes which lead to other scenes and other scenes...and when I wake up, I practically have a full story on my hands, er, in my head.

And, since it's not going away, I think I can manage to write it down as a one stand-alone novel.

Funny thing is, it has all my trademarks:

Supernatural element: Werewolves, check.
Childhood friendship: Cailean, Colin, Channing and Lorelei, check.
Action sequence: Wolf and sword fights, check.
Family love: Lorelei and her boys and the boys parents and Lei's mother, check.
The clash of ambition, greed against faith, love and friendship, check.

But what kind of surprises me is the lack of romance between the two main characters: Cailean and Lorelei. Sure, they will have some romance scenes because they have to show some romantic interest in each other due to the situation...but the story doesn't depend on the romance rather than the friendship between them. Which is kind of awesome and troublesome in the same time. Since this will be a YA book, I don't think that it can work without romance....so maybe I have to change that. Maybe.

A big maybe, because I really like how the story goes just as it is. What do you think?

Copyright © 2012 by D.F. Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment